TOP OF THE HILL CHURCH NEWS MAY 2019
WATERBURY MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
1117 Utica Street, PO Box 747, Oriskany, NY 13424
Sunday Worship 9:55am
THIS IS THE DAY THAT THE LORD HAS MADE
LET US REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT. Psalm 118:24
Our Annual Church Rummage Sale will be held Friday, May 10th from 9am until 3pm and Saturday, May 11th bag sale only from 10am until noon. As always, we welcome contributions of clean, usable clothing, housewares, linens, tools, toys, games, décor, furniture, etc. that are in good repair. Please do not bring the old type televisions nor outdated computer components. There is no market for them. Items may be brought to the church basement or left by the upstairs railing up to the deadline of Monday, May 6th. Your help is needed to set up, sort items for sale and to pack up and distribute what is left. Contact Jan Grunenwald, 315-736-655 if you can assist. All proceeds will go toward the roofing project so your support by donating items, assisting with the sale, telling friends about the sale and shopping yourself will help to raise the necessary funds – all are welcome to come and shop – there is something for everyone!
Everyone is welcome to attend the Spring Gymanfa Ganu (Festival of Song in the Welsh Tradition), sponsored by St. David’s Society of Utica on Sunday, May 5th at 3:00pm at the Westernville Presbyterian Church, 7696 Stokes-Westernville Road. Leading the singing will be conductor Tristan Jones, accompanied by organist Susan Bartholomew and pianist Jeanne Jones. Gene and Joseph Falvo will be the vocalists. Following the singing, a “te bach” (afternoon tea) will be held. The church is handicapped accessible.
The Presbytery of Utica will be holding its May meeting at Waterbury Church on May 28th at 5pm. Help will be needed with the meal. Please let Bobbi Masters know if you are willing to assist her. Also, those arriving will need directions where to park. If you are available to help beginning at 4pm, let Pastor Roger know.
Sunday, May 5th we will share in The Lord’s Supper. The communion servers will be Karen Fournier and Karen Mesick.
The greeters for this month are Marcia Cavanaugh and Bobbi Masters for May 5th; Karen Mesick and Sharon Wolanin the 12th; Karen Fournier and Volunteer May 19th; Bobbi Masters and Volunteer for May 26th.
Liturgists for May:
5th – Pam Deppmeyer, 12th – Karen Stockton, 19th – Brandon Allen, 26th – Sharon Wolanin
Each Sunday we include in our prayer a church within the Presbytery or a ministry connected with the Presbytery. The Prayer Calendar includes for May 5th – First Presbyterian Church, Ilion; 12th – Church of the Lakes, Inlet; 19th – First United Presbyterian Church, Little Falls; 26th – First Presbyterian Church, Lowville.
Sundays at 9:30am there is A Time of Prayer in the Church Office. All are welcome to attend as we raise our voices together in prayer to God.
Mission Sunday is the 12th. Our guest from Your Neighbors Inc will be Carole Grove. (Please make your check payable to Waterbury Church. Thank you.)
The Session Meeting for May will be held on Monday, May 6th (note 1st Monday of month) at 6:00pm in the Worden Room.
Birthdays for May:
5th – Marilyn Rahn
5th – Julie Thrasher
9th – Joanna Jenkins
10th – Nancy Fay
15th – Darlene Lacell
18th – Heidi Bonville
23rd – Len Pugh
23rd – Katherine Priscilla Williams (11yrs old)
30th – Brody Masters (7yrs old)
31st – Ann Smith
Anniversaries for May:
11th – Les & Grace Henderson
17th – Roger & Carol Bone
22nd – Dr. William & Kathryn Langdon
(If your birthday or anniversary is missed, please let Pastor know)
The Daily Devotional, Our Daily Bread, for June, July, August are available on the back table in the sanctuary from Our Daily Bread Ministries, which provides them at no charge.
Sunday School News
Sunday School will be offered May 5th, 19th, 26th and the first two Sundays of June. It will not be held on Mother’s Day, May 12th. All children are welcome to join us for Sunday School during worship following Jake’s message.
The elementary class lessons for the next several weeks are from Ministry-To-Children.com starting with “God is My Shepherd” with the Bible Passages from Psalm 23 and John 10:1-18. The High/Middle School lessons will be special Bible selections taught by Carol Wallace.
There will be a Sunday School break from June 16th through the summer to prepare for Vacation Bible School and due to the church summer schedule.
Vacation Bible School Update
Plans are moving forward for our 2019 Vacation Bible School to be held July 15th-19th from 9am to noon. We have two new volunteers this year, but we need additional station leaders. Theme materials are being reviewed and a selection will be made early in May.
If you can help in any way with VBS or know someone who can, please contact Karen Stockton at 315-522-5249 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for keeping VBS in your prayers.
April 9th Session Hilites by Marcia Cavanaugh, Clerk of Session
· The March financial reports were reviewed and approved.
· 25 received (30 attended) Communion on April 7th.
· March 29th Service at Utica First Presbyterian Church. Approximately 150-155 attended from First Presbyterian, Westminster Moriah Olivet, Whitesboro Presbyterian and Waterbury Presbyterian Churches. $189 was collected for Hope House.
· Meeting was held on April 4th at Waterbury to discuss further services. Motion approved to attend World Communion Sunday Worship on October 6th at Westminster Moriah Olivet Church, attend rotating services at the five churches (First Presbyterian, Westminster Moriah Olivet, Whitesboro Presbyterian, New Hartford Presbyterian and Waterbury Presbyterian).
· Summer worship services with Whitesboro Presbyterian. Two services will be held at each church to cover for the Pastor’s vacations.
· Vanderkamp Appeal due to possibility of closing. Vanderkamp is Waterbury’s June Mission.
· Organ Work Update. Received final invoice from Sid Chase for $500 plus $205 for second new power supply to replace first unit destroyed by AC electrical error. The copper and metals salvaged from the old organ parts have been sold and we received $45. Thank you Shirley and helpers for all your hard work.
· Roof Repair – Len Pugh will be meeting with Cobblestone Construction to finalize the work to be done and actual estimate. We have received $2000 from David Briend as a donation in memory of Albert Briend to be used for the necessary repairs and upcoming expenses being incurred by the Church. This donation will be placed in the Roof Fund. Marcia Cavanaugh will contact the Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida Counties to obtain guidelines and application for grant for capital repairs.
· Approved purchase of new dehumidifier for the basement to replace the nonworking dehumidifier.
· At the January Presbytery meeting a motion was approved that lay pastors serving the Presbytery be permitted to introduce themselves to the Presbytery as Pastor rather than Lay Pastor.
· Manual of Operations Sexual Harassment Policy: Policy has been obtained from NYS. Motion to approve policy. Marcia Cavanaugh will fill out the appropriate blanks in the NYS Policy. Training will be needed for all employees receiving a W2. Training class schedule will be explored.
· Summer Picnic: date to be determined in August.
A Thank You was received from Rome Rescue Mission our February Mission: Dear Waterbury Memorial Presbyterian Church, On behalf of The Rome Rescue Mission, I would like to thank you for your generous donation of $194. Because of your support, we have seen many lives changed for the better. The goal of the mission is to continue to make a positive difference in the lives of disadvantaged people. With the help of donations from supporters such as you, we will continue to provide shelter to the homeless, feed the hungry and inspire lifelong learning. Sincerely, Executive Director Matt Miller
You are invited to attend the Prayer Group that meets every Wednesday from 9am to 10am at the Thread of Life Thrift Shop, 130 Oriskany Boulevard, Whitesboro, with Pastor Roger and Pastor Victor.
Carl Graziadei is the catcher/pitcher for the Oriskany High School Baseball Team. May home games to be played at the High School – 6th @ 4:30 vs. Hamilton, 8th @ 4:30 vs. Waterville, 15th @ 4:30 vs. West Canada Valley.
Sunday, May 19th at 3pm we are invited to attend the 171th Celebration of Capel Enlli “Out to Pasture Service”. This Welsh Chapel is located on the Corner of Fairchild and Lake Julia Roads, Remsen. (There is a picture of the Chapel on the bulletin board at church.)
The Franklin Graham Decision America Northeast Tour is coming to Syracuse on Thursday, May 30th 7:30pm at the Lakeview Amphitheater, 490 Restoration Way. There will be live music by Crowder, a message of hope by Franklin Graham and Fireworks. Free Admission, Amphitheater seating provided – bring blankets for overflow lawn seating. Gates open at 6pm. Please note that local security protocols require all bags and packages to be screened as you enter this venue. From Franklin Graham – “Dear Friend, The Northeast has a powerful spiritual heritage. More than 152 years before the Revolutionary War, men and women there were already laying the foundation for our nation, guided by God and based on principles of His Word. Sadly, so much has changed. Belief in God is on the decline, and the Northeast was recently named the least religious part of the U.S. What this region – and America as a whole – needs is a spiritual transformation that starts in individual hearts. Only Jesus Christ can bring that change. Through the Decision America Northeast Tour, I want to join you in prayer for your community and our nation, call Christians to stand boldly for His truth, and tell the lost about the hope they can find in Him. Let’s come together as followers of Christ and saturate these states with the Good News.”
Pastor Roger and Pat will be on vacation from Monday, May 13th until Friday, May 17th. For any pastoral emergencies please call Marcia Cavanaugh, Clerk of Session, at 315-525-8998.